Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Sequel to "The Shunning" is finally here! And it's a great movie!

Last year, I got to review the movie "The Shunning" (based on the Beverly Lewis trilogy of Amish novels). My whole family enjoyed the movie, so when I was offered the chance to review the second movie, "The Confession," I eagerly agreed. It's produced by Sony Pictures in connection with Affirm Films and Provident Films.

Directed by Michael Landon Jr. (Beverly Lewis’ The Shunning, Love Comes Softly), the inspiring film is a sequel to the Hallmark Channel’s hit movie, Beverly Lewis’ The Shunning, and is based on the second novel of “The Heritage of Lancaster County” trilogy from New York Times best-selling author Beverly Lewis. Katie Lapp (Leclerc), a young Amish woman, goes on a journey in search of her identity -- only to find herself embroiled in a mystery that must be solved before she can be reunited with the “Englisher” mother, who gave her up for adoption 20 years earlier.  The film also stars Bill Oberst Jr. (The Secret Life of Bees), Cameron Deane Stewart (Pitch Perfect, High School Crush) and Julia Whelan (TV’s “Once and Again”).

When I got the DVD, and compared the pictures to those on The Shunning DVD, I saw that the actress playing Katie Lapp had changed. That caused me a moment's hesitation, but once I watched the movie, all those doubts disappeared. Katie Leclerc did an excellent job of portraying Katie Lapp in her struggles to do the right thing.

This is an awesome, family-friendly movie. If you haven't watched "The Shunning" yet, you definitely need to watch that first to get the back story. Katie is on a mission to find her birth mother. She doesn't have much more than a name and general location, and she runs into opposition, including an imposter!

Even though I've read the books that these movies are based on, I found myself caught up in the movie, wondering what would happen next, how obstacles would be overcome, and how conflicts would be resolved. The movie went by very quickly, and left me saying "What? It's over? I have to wait for the final movie now?"

The movie had a little bit of everything - humor, light romance, conflicts, suspense. I appreciate the way the main characters of Katie Lapp and Laura Mayfield-Bennett are such loveable characters, showing grace, kindness, loyalty and forgiveness to others.

There are several scenes in the movie that could lead to good family discussions on how the character's faith was shown through their actions, such as Laura Mayfield-Bennett's dealings with her husband, and how Katie Lapp consistently thinks of how her actions will impact the Amish couple who raised her. 

The DVD for Beverly Lewis' the Confession goes on sale June 11 - and I would definitely recommend that you add this to your video library!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment