Saturday, May 25, 2013

Book Review: Nick Vujicic's "Limitless"



 From limbless to limitless – anything is possible with God!

Nick Vujicic knows there is no greater hope than trusting in God’s plan for your life. Born without arms or legs, Nick has experienced both the peak of hope and the depth of despair. But he has overcome his circumstances and physical limitations by clinging to his faith and understanding the limitless love and power God has for every person.

Now he wants you to experience that same reassurance of hope and the power of God, everyday. In these fifty inspirational devotions, Nick shares his most compelling, hard-earned wisdom to help you face obstacles with confidence and courage and point you toward God. Whether you struggle with faith, relationships, career challenges, anger, health concerns, self-esteem, finding balance, or doubt in your dreams, Nick’s biblical encouragement and positive attitude will transform your life and show you that you can be limitless because God is limitless.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen” (Ephesians 3:20-21).
I've been a fan of Nick Vujicic since I saw a YouTube video of him speaking to an auditorium full of teenagers. Here is a guy with no arms or legs, and he deliberately let himself fall down on the stage. He then managed to push himself back up, using his head and shoulders. Then he looked out over the sea of teenage faces and said something like, "I have no arms. I have no legs.  If I fall down, I shouldn't be able to get back up again. But I do. So, what is it you think you can't do?"

Limitless is a collection of 50 brief devotions based on Nick's life experiences. I got the book in the mail for review at a time when I was feeling pretty stressed out. I sat down and read through all 50 of the devotions in one night. I laughed, I cried, and I laughed some more, and I finished the book feeling much less stressed. Nick has a way of helping you to take your eyes off your problem by directing your focus back to God. He does so with a humble spirit and a great sense of humor.

This is the kind of book I'll keep next to my chair and mark up with notes and highlighting. Worried about finances? See page 112 for Nick's thoughts on his business being $50,000 in the red. Need a laugh? Oh, boy, there are loads of pages to refer you to - perhaps his adventure on a baggage carousel on page 47, or maybe his definition of "flip-phone" on page 80? Or his brief impromptu stint as a window mannequin (page 77)?  Afraid that things will never change? Page 56 will be an encouragement. Going through a time of sadness? Leaf over to page 68.

I highly recommend this book. Nick Vujicic may be been born "missing a few bits and pieces" (as his mother often told him), but God is definitely using him to spread a message of hope and encouragement.



No comments:

Post a Comment