Saturday, January 21, 2012

Gluten-Free Stuffed Pork Chops!

Earlier this week, I was sitting with the week’s store flyers, trying to make up a meal plan & shopping list for the week. I asked my husband if there was anything he’d like me to make for dinner. He thought for a while and said, “You haven’t made stuffed pork chops in ages.” That’s true… I probably hadn’t made them in over a year, since I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. It’s tough to make meals that I can’t eat… like tonight, when Ron & Bethany were oohing and aahing over how delicious their chicken pot pie was. I haven’t mastered a gluten-free pie crust yet, so I just ate my salad…

Well, I decided that I would try making my own gluten-free stuffing. I had half a loaf of Rudi’s gluten-free multi-grain bread in the freezer, so I figured it was worth a try.

On Wednesday, Ron came home from work to find stuffed pork chops, squash, and applesauce on the table for dinner, and I got to sit down and eat with him. It turned out very well, and I will definitely be making this again, especially through the winter months, when it warms up the kitchen to have the oven on for an hour!

It turned out so well, I knew I wanted to share the recipe. Sorry, I didn't take a picture... we just dug in and enjoyed! 


Stuffing
1 small onion, minced
½ c sliced mushrooms
½ c minced celery
½ c shredded carrot
¼ c butter
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp poultry seasoning
4 c cubed Rudi’s multi-grain bread
¼ c chicken broth

Sauté onion, mushrooms, celery and carrot in butter until soft. Add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and cubed bread. Mix well. Pour chicken broth over top and mix until all broth is absorbed.

Slit the side of 6 boneless pork chops and put 2-3 tablespoons of stuffing into each pork chop. If you don’t want to bread your pork chops, you can just put them in a pan now and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350˚

If you like breading on your pork chops, beat ½ cup ranch salad dressing with an egg. Coat pork chops with ranch mixture, then coat with breading mix (recipe below). Bake 45-60 minutes (depending on how thick the pork chops are – a meat thermometer should register 170˚ when done).

If you have leftover stuffing, bake it in a covered dish, so it doesn’t dry out.

Gluten-Free Breading Mix
1 c gluten-free panko bread crumbs*
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning
1/8 tsp pepper
¾ tsp thyme
¾ tsp oregano
½ c cornstarch
½ c sorghum flour

I use this mix and the same ranch dressing/egg mixture to make baked chicken.

*I had Gluten-Free Panko bread crumbs on hand for another recipe (Connie’s Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes… I’ll have to share that recipe next), but you could use any gluten-free bread crumbs. If you use Italian-Style gluten-free bread crumbs, don’t put in the onion powder, Italian Seasoning and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment