Saturday, September 24, 2011

Gluten-Free "Banana Bread Waffles"

One of the first things I did this morning was sit down and work on my to-do list. As soon as I pulled up the file on the computer, it seemed like my mind went blank. I knew I had loads of things I needed to get done. My schedule was really messed up this week with one car in the shop and me having a head cold that knocked me off my feet for a couple of days. I kept telling myself, "I'll do it this weekend." Now that the weekend had arrived, I needed to get organized! 

I found that just walking around the house helped me to remember stuff I was going to add to my list. Seeing the piles of papers around my desk reminded me of bills to pay. Picking up a ziploc bag of Box Tops from Education from my purse reminded me that I need to get those rounded up from several locations around the house where I've been working on them, and get them in the mail this week. Walking into the kitchen and getting dive-bombed by a fruit fly reminded me that I needed to use up some bananas that are past their prime.

Banana bread wasn't an option today... we still have cinnamon buns and cinnamon swirl bread from my baking earlier this week, so it would probably get moldy before it got eaten. There's no room in either freezer to put some baked goods in, so I decided to make "Banana Bread Waffles" for breakfast... and tweaked the recipe to make them gluten-free. They turned out very well, although, as I mention in the recipe, the batter thickens as it sits, so there's actually more than 2 cups of milk in the recipe... I didn't measure as I added a little more milk (2-3 tbsp) midway through our waffle-making! 

Gluten-Free “Banana Bread” Waffles
4 bananas, mashed
¼ c brown sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c oatmeal
½ c brown rice flour
½ c potato starch flour
½ c cornstarch
½ c sorghum flour
2 c milk
½ c chopped nuts

Put bananas, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla in mixing bowl. Mix until smooth. Add xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined. Add oatmeal and flours alternately with milk, mixing on low speed. Add nuts and mix until they are distributed through the batter. Cook in waffle iron, 3 minutes for regular waffle, 6 minutes for Belgian waffle – or make pancakes. The batter tends to thicken on standing, so you may have to add a little more milk midway through your waffle-making.
Serves 4-6, depending on how hungry everybody is!



No comments:

Post a Comment